I truly believe that children have always been one of my passions. While working on my undergrad degree, I had the privilege of working in a 5th grade classroom. The students created me a personalized book which they gave to me on the last day that I was going to be with them. One student wrote me a note with a quote that I will cherish forever. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." This student went on to say that this is her motto for her life. Not only did this quote mean the world to me but the student as well. While I was in the classroom, her dad was away serving our country. This student would come in during the mornings often down and sad. I would pull her aside on a daily basis, even it if were only for a few seconds, just to let her know how special she was to me. Kids need to be reassured that someone cares for them. I will remember this student throughout my career.
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." I believe this is a perfect quote for the education world. Some days it might feel like we will never get through the school year, but we always have to take it day by day.
I am sure those few moments you took out of each day meant the world to that child. Receiving a note like this would have bought tears to my eyes and stay with me forever like it has with you. What a wonderful quote! We really gain so much from our students. Fantastic page as well!
ReplyDeleteI think it is so great how you made time for that student even if there were only a few minutes to spare. You truly remind me of a teacher I had in the 7th grade. My dad had gotten sick and was in the hospital for over 6 months. She would leave me littles notes to help get me through the day! You never know what you are doing for a child! Please continue what you are doing! Great story!
ReplyDeleteTo know that you touched the heart of a child makes your job a whole lot easy. thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete