Since I do not have children of my own, I would like to share the birthing experience of my younger cousin Anniston. Anniston is currently four years old and a very smart child. Anniston was born into a well rounded, middle-class family. Her parents, Nick and Amber, took every step to make their birthing experience the best that it could possibly be for their family. Once Nick and Amber found out they were expecting, they went straight to their doctor. Nick and Amber prepared their house for a second little one and prepared the big sister, Ansleigh. Nick and Amber went to their doctor appointments as well as birthing classes. They chose to deliver Anniston at a local hospital with the use of medicine to help control the pain during the birth. Anniston was a very healthy baby and Amber did just fine! Nick, Amber, big sister Ansleigh, and baby Anniston were able to leave the hospital after a few days. Amber decided to breast feed Anniston, but when Anniston was six weeks old Amber was diagnosed with Stage 4 Breast Cancer and had to supplement using formula.
In the country of Ethiopia, the birthing process looks quite a bit different. If a woman is in labor more than one day, someone will come into the birthing room and gunshots are fired in order to provoke birth by shock. The umbilical cord is tied to the mother’s leg in order to prevent the cord and the placenta from sliding back into the uterus. The midwife then rubs the mother’s stomach with butter to speed up the delivery of the placenta. If the placenta does not have a smooth surface, it is believed to be incomplete. The midwife will then press a water jug down the abdomen until all of the remains of the placenta are discharged. After the birth, the baby usually sneezes. If the baby does not sneeze, a piece of thread is used to tickle the nose. Childbirth in Ethiopia is considered unclean. Those present in the birthing process are unable to enter the church for 20 days if the baby is a boy and 40 days if it’s a baby girl. On the 7th day of the baby’s life, the mother will either make a shield if she had a baby boy and a sieve for a baby girl. The mother is given fasting food which contains no meat or dairy products. On the 12th day, the baby is circumcised and garlic and rice are sprinkled on the blood. This mixture is combined with kohl and used as a dressing for wound.
I really enjoyed researching other countries’ birthing experiences. One thing that really caught my attention was the country of Ethiopia considering the birthing process unclean. The fact that people that are present during the birth cannot enter the church after 20-40 days is very interesting. Another difference that I noticed was the baby is expected to sneeze. Since I do not have children of my own, I may just be unfamiliar with the process in the states. The only thing that I have heard of is making the baby cry after the birth.
Kaitlin,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. The birthing methods in Ethiopia are so different from the methods in the United States! I was surprised that Ethiopians believe childbirth to be unclean.
Did you find out what the purpose of the shield and the sieve were?
Great post, good luck with the course!
Kaitlin,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post as well. The experience that women go through in Ethiopia is very different, i find that to be very interesting about how gunshots are fired if women are in labor more than one day. I could never imagine going through that when i had my daughter even though i was not in labor long. Good luck with this course, and i hope that we all can help each other.
Childbirth in Ethiopia is very different from what I am use to seeing, it is also interesting. It really attests to how culture influences every aspect of our lives. I am suprised that they try to scare the baby out. Very fascinating! One a more serious note, are these practices common all over Ethiopia? Or are they practiced by a particular tribe or ethnic group? I also interested in knowing why they consider childbirth unclean. Thank you for posting.
ReplyDeletewow...Kaitlin, excellent research. I found your post to be very informative. I too, am surprised by the sneezing issue. I always thought that crying was the only activity that was encouraged immediately following birth. If you really think about it, I guess both activities require the use of the same muscle groups....hmmm..interesting.
ReplyDeleteBirthing Rituals in Ethopia are extremely different then in the United States. I had been told that you really should stay in with your baby for at least six weeks except for Doctor's visits. I wonder if this is because some thought the process to be unclean? Needless to say I have seen babies in stores, churches, restaurants, etc. only days old. I wonder what women in the USA would think about the rituals in Ethopia?
ReplyDeleteHello Katelin,
ReplyDeleteI am very glad to see you enrolled in this semester's course on Child Development. I remember you from the previous course. I am sad to hear that your cousin has been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. At this point is there anything that the doctors can to do to remove the cancer? I very happy to hear that she delivered a beautiful and happy baby.
This is one of the things that concerns me about women in other countries and even in the U.S. , who lack health coverage and are unable to get the prenatal care they need. It is so sad that we have thousands and maybe even millions of people who are unable to afford healthcare, its sad when a mom cannot get the care she needs during her prenatal period. Well Enjoy the course!!!
Alice M. Jones