I have had many wonderful opportunities of listening to
speakers at conferences, family members, celebrities, and friends displaying
great communication skills. One person in
particular that comes to mind is my assistant principal, Mrs. Llewellyn. She displays wonderful techniques when leading
a discussion with a large group and one on one conversation. I believe this is important because a lot of
people can talk in front of a large group (I am not one of those people), but
then they have problems in more intimate settings. Mrs. Llewellyn does a great job both
listening and speaking. While listening
she keeps eye contact, smiles, and shakes her head in agreement during the
conversations. When Mrs. Llewellyn leads
training sessions, she makes sure she is teaching us with terms we are familiar
with and not leading us into unclear territories.
I would like to model my own communication after that of
Mrs. Llewellyn’s. After finishing a conversation
whether it lasts five minutes or thirty, I walk away confident that she heard
everything I said. She truly takes the
time to listen and give her own opinions.
She realizes when she is losing her audience and knows many ways of
pulling them back in to be engaged.
That is another talent I wish I had. I wish I could keep the attention of those around me, and when I begin to lose them I coudl pull them back, as you stated. I REALLY wish I could do that with my class of ten 2 year olds....lol
ReplyDelete