Saturday, December 1, 2012

Week 5


I have been born and raised in the south and it has impacted my southern draw greatly.  I am a proud sweet tea drinker, football loving, yes ma’am/no sir saying, and y’all type of girl.  Out of all my friends, my southern accent is the strongest.  Growing up in a small town where everyone has the same kind of drawl, I did not think much about it.  While I was in high school, I went to Boston on a school trip and I quickly saw how others viewed my southern twang.  I was asked to repeat things multiple times and people told me that they would speak slower in order for me to understand what was being said.  Since then, I try to be mindful of how I react when I hear others talk with an accent or a speech impediment.

This year in my classroom, I have several students with speech related issues.  I try my hardest to be very patient with them and allow them to say whatever is on their mind even if it takes longer than others.  I am constantly listening for hurtful words toward them from the classmates or anyone else about the way they speak.  Ableism relates to attitudes and actions of others relating to a form of disability (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010).  Being the girl that pronounces a few words funny, I can handle a few laughs because I know that I could correct my words if I wanted/needed to.  It is not that easy for my students with the speech impediment.  I do not want them to feel the same frustration that I felt while up in Boston for a week.  I want them to feel confident in what they have to say and know that they will be heard by all.

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment